Youth Education And Employment Training (YEET) Program
Youth between the ages of 14 and 18 can apply to work at Freewheelin’ Community Bikes through our paid Youth Employment Education and Training (YEET) Program.
Youth between the ages of 14 and 18 can apply to work at Freewheelin’ Community Bikes through our paid Youth Education and Employment Training (YEET) Program.
For most youth, it’s a first job that helps them prepare for a successful future while providing vital services to our Freewheelin’ participants and customers. YEET includes:
Year-round paid apprenticeship program:
- Beginning pay is $8.10/hr
- 15 hours per week during school year
- 25 hours per week during summer
- Freewheelin’ bike mechanics program (Apron program)
- Customer service training
- Entrepreneurship class
- Interpersonal communications training
- Process bicycle donation and general inventory
- Perform mechanical repairs
- Mentor youth, instruct classes, lead bike rides
- Serve as a customer representative in the Freewheelin’ retail bike shop
Benefits to the youth:
- With increasing responsibility comes increased pay
- An earned bicycle and safety equipment via the Green Apron class
- Become a valued member of the Freewheelin’ Community Bikes Team
- Referrals to other employers and post-secondary educational institutions
- School references
- School report card/progress report
- Decision day
At the completion of their program, we may offer permanent part-time employment with us (and a pay raise) or help them find their next employment opportunity. No matter what, our Apprentices leave with an understanding of their strengths and passions, as well as valuable skills within the bike industry and beyond.
If you are interested in the program, please complete the application below.